Monday, October 27, 2008

Vanity Fair Portraits at LACMA

Vanity Fair Portraits: Photographs 1913-2008 opened yesterday at LACMA. This exhibition showcases decades of celebrity portraiture. Most of the prints are quite small and Liebowitz is represented up the wazoo but this is one to see, especially considering the museum is free after 5pm. I do wish, however, that the placards spoke a bit more about the photographers instead of their focus on the celebrities, but this is celebrity obsessed LA after all and I guess the curators knew this would be a big draw. My favorite image of the show is this one of Julianne Moore, which is printed big and lucious.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

who shot the Julianne Moore image? I have the biggest crush on her and that photo floored me!

Aaron said...

nevermind. I found it. And I also found a gold mine of his (Michael Thompson)other shoots with her...

http://www.jedroot.com/photogr/mt/thompson-celeb.php?story=http://www.jedroot.com/photogr/mt/celeb/mt-jmoore.html

J. Wesley Brown said...

Thanks for the links, Aaron. Impressive.