Wednesday, August 31, 2011
All images Copyright Kathleen Hawkes
- James Dodd
I think many of us want to shoot a variety of things in a variety of ways, despite the market often rewarding those that do what we are trying to avoid. I know I do.
Associate Photo Editor
Reports To: Photo Editor
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Dwell Media, LLC is the parent company of Dwell magazine, Dwell Digital + Mobile, Dwell on Design events, Dwell Insights Group, Dwell Homes Collection and Dwell TV. Founded in 2000 by Lara Hedberg Deam, Dwell has received countless industry awards and is widely regarded as a leading voice in the modern design movement.
We are looking for a passionate Associate Photo Editor to join our creative team. You will have a keen eye for high quality photography, excellent multitasking skills and a high capacity visual memory. You will be highly organized, self motivated, enthusiastic, know how to self review your work, and have exceptional people skills. You will be a strong and fair negotiator with a sense of humor. You will assist the Photo Editor with the evolution of Dwell Media and overall photography, and thrive in a creative, collaborative environment.
This is not a staff photographer position.
- You will work closely with the Photo Editor to conceptualize, assign and produce photo shoots.
- You will research and collect images for existing art stories, digital projects and special issues.
- You will edit all images from your stories.
- You will work with the Photo Editor, Executive Editor and the design team members on story layouts.
- You will negotiate fees and contracts with photographers and reps for assignments and existing art.
- You will keep all in house tracking systems and data bases current and manage all photo returns and story pdf’s.
- You will research and discover new photographers appropriate for Dwell Media.
- You will initiate, collaborate, and contribute to the environment of the creative staff
in a positive way.
- You will prep images for digital use and contribute to Dwell’s content management system (CMS).
- 2+ years photo editing experience or comparable
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to meet deadlines with completed work
- Ability to double check your own work and follow projects through to completion
- Ability to multi-task, manage tight deadlines, and achieve quick turnarounds
- Possess strong organizational skills, with mindfulness of team needs
- High knowledge of Adobe CS5 and Excel
- Knowledge of and experience in digital asset management is a big plus
- A clear understanding of the Dwell visual voice
- Enthusiasm for your team, a good sense of humor, and the desire to own the projects you work on are absolutely essential
Please send cover letter, resume, and PDF portfolio with relevant samples of your work to: email@example.com
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed and will not be responded to.
Friday, August 26, 2011
The Analog Salon is a project by Digital Fusion that highlights exceptional talent in the world of fine art photography. By partnering with industry leaders, DF is showcasing artists in its salon setting in Culver City by celebrating new, emerging and established photographers with an emphasis on Los Angeles based artists.
The new space represents a modern movement in supporting the arts by providing not only a space but a full production and marketing project to showcase talent and support artist efforts. The space will provide sponsored printing and framing, sponsored events based on the work and will include lectured, discussion panels and artist talks. All events will have a reception event and will be backed by local arts and entertainment media.
Along with Samitaur Constructs and under the guidance of architect Eric Owen Moss, Digital Fusion has provided a space to display and celebrate photography. Regular curated gallery exhibits will occur at the Culver City canvas setting. A dynamic partnership has been established with Contemporary Cultural led by cultural curator Edgar Varela as well as partnerships with local art world staples; Artweek LA & LA Canvas.
Partnerships have also been established with The Lucie Foundation, an organization established to support photography. We have also partnered with local radio station KCRW, the hub of cultural happenings in the Los Angeles regional area as well as Dublab, a radio collective specializing in cultural exploration of sight and sound.
RedefiningThomas Alleman, J. Wesley Brown, Siri Kaur, Gordon Magnin, Gray Malin, Claire Mallett, Brend Reinhardt, April Rocha, Ryan Schude/Lauren Randolph, Emily Shur, Aline Smithson, Lacey Terrell
Friday, August 19, 2011
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Two concurrent shows at the Los Angeles Center for Digital Art: (I'm in this one)
"Analog to Digital"
July 9-September 2, 2011
Artwalk Reception: Thursday August 11, 7-9pm
John Baldessari, Gronk, Patti Heid, Dennis Hopper, Kathryn Jacobi,Luke Matjas, Miss Maytag Collective, Mark Mothersbaugh, Federico Solmi, Anneliese Varaldiev, Robert Williams, Joel-Peter Witkin
"Looking Forward: Ten Artists to Watch"
Selected by Edward Robinson, LACMA
August 11-September 2, 2011
Thursday August 11, 7-9pm
J. Wesley Brown
"I Love L.A."
Thursday, August 11, 7 pm - 9 pm
Wilshire Grand Hotel, 930 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90017
Meet the artists, have a book signed, view the works from this collection.
If you can't make the opening reception for the artists, the show installs at Duncan Miller Gallery, 10959 Venice Blvd in West LA on Saturday August 13 and runs through September 17. There will be another reception on Saturday, Aug 13, 7-10 pm in the gallery.
L.A. Times article here.
Saturday, August 6, 2011
Thursday, August 4, 2011
- T.S. Eliot via this article in the Times that relates quite well, I think to the attempt to verbalize photographs.