Associate Photo Editor
Reports To: Photo Editor
Location: San Francisco, Ca
Dwell Media, LLC is the parent company of Dwell magazine, Dwell Digital + Mobile, Dwell on Design events, Dwell Insights Group, Dwell Homes Collection and Dwell TV. Founded in 2000 by Lara Hedberg Deam, Dwell has received countless industry awards and is widely regarded as a leading voice in the modern design movement.
We are looking for a passionate Associate Photo Editor to join our creative team. You will have a keen eye for high quality photography, excellent multitasking skills and a high capacity visual memory. You will be highly organized, self motivated, enthusiastic, know how to self review your work, and have exceptional people skills. You will be a strong and fair negotiator with a sense of humor. You will assist the Photo Editor with the evolution of Dwell Media and overall photography, and thrive in a creative, collaborative environment.
This is not a staff photographer position.
- You will work closely with the Photo Editor to conceptualize, assign and produce photo shoots.
- You will research and collect images for existing art stories, digital projects and special issues.
- You will edit all images from your stories.
- You will work with the Photo Editor, Executive Editor and the design team members on story layouts.
- You will negotiate fees and contracts with photographers and reps for assignments and existing art.
- You will keep all in house tracking systems and data bases current and manage all photo returns and story pdf’s.
- You will research and discover new photographers appropriate for Dwell Media.
- You will initiate, collaborate, and contribute to the environment of the creative staff
in a positive way.
- You will prep images for digital use and contribute to Dwell’s content management system (CMS).
- 2+ years photo editing experience or comparable
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to meet deadlines with completed work
- Ability to double check your own work and follow projects through to completion
- Ability to multi-task, manage tight deadlines, and achieve quick turnarounds
- Possess strong organizational skills, with mindfulness of team needs
- High knowledge of Adobe CS5 and Excel
- Knowledge of and experience in digital asset management is a big plus
- A clear understanding of the Dwell visual voice
- Enthusiasm for your team, a good sense of humor, and the desire to own the projects you work on are absolutely essential
Please send cover letter, resume, and PDF portfolio with relevant samples of your work to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed and will not be responded to.