Friday, May 15, 2009

Blurb Beware

I'm a big fan of customer service, which is why I'll never ever consider renting from Hertz again after they left me and my ex stranded with only 12 euros and no ID or credit cards for 28 hours after being robbed on a beach in Spain. They didn't even get us another car to sleep in that night.

Sounds like Jonathan Saunders has had a similar experience with Blurb. After reading his story, I'd think long and hard about going with them for my next photo book. When are companies going to realize that this stuff can kill you in the age of web 2.0?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think Jonathan Saunders needs to adjust his expectations. Blurb is what it is-an inexpensive way to get a book made. Its a bit naive to think you are going to get a high end well crafted book at those prices. A decent book yes, but really.

J. Wesley Brown said...

Did you read the whole thing? I don't think it's naive to see great examples at a show, which the company later cannot / chooses not to replicate. It's false advertising by Blurb.

Patrick Romero said...

When I put my photobook together last year everyone was recommending i use blurb. I didn't listen, mainly because I'm a bit of a control freak and wanted to monitor the process step by step. So I went to a local print shop that did everything to my satisfaction. Reading this story makes me feel vindicated..

J. Wesley Brown said...

Well, I'm local too, Patrick! What's the name of that shop?