Thursday, June 23, 2011

Feature - Wendy Fletcher


I can't recall who said it (a problem one faces when reading 50 blogs etc. on a daily basis, though maybe it was Vik Muniz?) but I'm pretty sure it was a photographer and that I read it in the last 6 months. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, that the work you most admire is the work you were just a step away from doing yourself but didn't - the work that you could have done in a parallel universe.

This, I think, is why I had a mix of emotions but was mostly excited when I came upon Wendy Fletcher's Vendedores series. I'd been thinking about shooting them myself over the past couple of years because I think it is dignified work they do and you see them all around Los Angeles. Well, Wendy beat me to it and did a damn fine job. I'd surely have shot them a bit differently but I'm ok with the fact that I didn't and I love her results.

All images copyright Wendy Fletcher - click for large views.






No comments: