Monday, April 6, 2009

Blog Shout Out


Copyright Colin Pantall

The latest blog I've been enjoying is Colin Pantall's and I've added it to the blogroll on the sidebar. He is currently posting a series titled "How Not to Photograph" in which he takes art photographers to task for falling into a rut and shooting "acceptable" subjects in "acceptable" ways. Such things include shooting beds or deadpan subjects or empty landscapes. I know I've been guilty of many of these sins and it's nice to see someone openly questioning the art world norms we feel we must comply with in order to be taken seriously as art photographers. Each post is illustrated by one of Colin's own photographs that commit the sin at hand, which I like because it shows he's not above reproach and also the fact that this is a photographer who loves to shoot and shoots often and a variety of subjects. I like photographers who are obsessed with photographing.

You can view more of Colin's excellent work here.

2 comments:

William said...

Thanks so much for posting this! It's so much easier to think critically through talking about mistakes.

Linking to great stuff like this is blogging at work. Would trust your opinion again.

Ian Aleksander Adams said...

I've really been enjoying his How Not To Shoot posts too. I'd be surprised if most contemporary photographers couldn't find something that relates to their work there.