Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Photo LA Recap

There's a nice little recap of Photo LA from a few different people that's worth reading here. Personally, I thought this year's show had better work and more exhibitors than in the last two years but would have to agree that nothing mind-blowing was there. To see the really big stuff (and I mean big names, not sizes) you need to go to art fairs and not photo fairs. A number of galleries, both photo focused and not that show what I think is the best work in town were conspicuously absent. It's a business choice of course, but it would have been nice to see them supporting photography in LA more actively.

I saw much better photography at galleries, SFMOMA and Pier 24 this weekend in San Fran than I saw at Photo LA on Thursday. Still, I'm glad we have it and will be back next year with hopefully more time to spend with books.

No comments: