Friday, October 28, 2011

WTF Quote of the Week

So I'm introducing a new feature, the WTF Quote of the Week.  Where the normal Quote of the Week is meant to be taken seriously or speaks to something I find interesting or inspiring, the WTF quote will be something I've seen in an artist statement or critical piece that's pure art talk nonsense.  Knowing myself, the WTF Quote of the Week will probably be more like every other week or maybe I'll just drop it at some point all together, but I think it will be fun to try for a while.  Without further ado, I give you the first:

"Posed indoors as well as outside, the women look toward as well as away from the camera."

- JZ, in a review of Jocelyn Lee's show at Rose Gallery in ArtScene.

It's an artspeak cliche to say something is or does both one thing and it's polar opposite, which results in saying nothing at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a shame the criticism is so shit, because the show is really really good. Hadn't paid Jocelyn Lee's work much notice, but the prints on the wall are arresting.

J. Wesley Brown said...

Yeah, I want to get down to that one. I didn't realize you were in LA, Pete.